Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant - Oncology Breast Center
Full Time, Monday through Friday
MedStar Health offers a uniquely rewarding career in a major marketplace. Shape your future in healthcare in the kind of setting that's right for you and your practice. Become a part of an organization that welcomes your experience, input, and leadership—as a clinician and healthcare expert.
We are looking for a highly motivated nurse practitioner/physician assistant to join our Breast Surgery team in the Breast Center at MedStar Franklin Square. The Breast Center at MedStar Franklin Square is a Women's Choice Award-winning team that has been NAPBC-accredited for over 12 years.
In this role, the selected candidate will be a part of the multidisciplinary team of breast surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and genetic counselors to provide outstanding care to patients in the community. The candidate will participate in the evaluation and management of patients with breast cancer, as well as those with benign breast disease. Under the guidance and supervision of the breast surgeons, the advanced practice provider will see patients in the outpatient breast surgery clinic and will be involved in preoperative and postoperative patient care. The provider will have the opportunity to run the High-Risk Breast Clinic and create survivorship plans for patients who have been treated for breast cancer. The candidate will also play a major role in educating patients and their families about breast disease and lifestyle risks associated with breast cancer. The APP will also have the opportunity for hands-on care by performing outpatient procedures with the guidance of the surgeon. This is a full-time opportunity with a Monday through Friday schedule with no weekend duties or on-call responsibilities.
As a new MedStar Health clinician, you can expect:
- A competitive exempt salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Assumes total nursing care of specific patients under the direction of physician. Follows established nursing standards, procedures, and practices and gives specific patient care directions to nursing and other staff.
- Education/Training – Graduation from a nurse practitioner/physician assistant program approved by the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- Experience – 1 year of experience, preferably in oncology, preferred.
- License/Certification/Registration – Registration with the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in patient safety/quality measures studies/projects.
- Assists physicians with examinations, procedures, and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Assists with care, visits, and documentation for patients on studies and clinical trials.
- Assists with clinical supervision of the infusion center.
- Conducts the cancer screening program at the hospital.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives. Adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with hospital standards.
- Maintains an active presence with the hospitalist and house staff teams to ensure timely completion of hematology and oncology consultation for hospitalized patients.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records. Maintains all required reports, records, statistics, etc.
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, tumor board, and Cancer Committee meetings.
- Prepares and maintains records of patient charges.
- Provides direct patient care/evaluates outcomes, consults with other specialists as required, and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care.
- Provides supervised and/or independent outpatient and inpatient care.
- Provides survivorship care planning and ongoing medical visits.
- Responsible for community outreach and education activities for the patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Be a part of a nationally-recognized health system and the largest provider of health services in the Baltimore/Washington region. With our vast resources and capabilities at your disposal, you can expand your clinical expertise. Enjoy a rich career and a quality of life unique to Baltimore and the mid-Atlantic region, which features a mix of urban, suburban, and rural communities.
Be the provider you were meant to be, here at MedStar Health.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as the surrounding rural areas, offer a unique blend of history, culture, and the arts—and, of course, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Downtown beckons you with its popular Inner Harbor, highly rated restaurants, theater, nightlife, and major league sports teams. The suburbs offer a great selection of homes in welcoming neighborhoods with excellent schools, shopping, and family activities. Rural areas are accented by quiet rolling hills, lush forests, and charming small towns. MedStar Health hospitals serving Baltimore include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital, and MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.