Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit Physician Assistant
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is seeking a full-time nurse practitioner or physician assistant to join our Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU). The advanced practice provider manages the care of patients who are in the initial recovery stages following open heart surgery. Patients are closely monitored and typically remain on the unit for 18 to 24 hours. They are then transferred to the Cardiovascular Stepdown Unit.
The team is looking for a cardiovascular-trained nurse practitioner or physician assistant who wants to continually learn and grow and who is excited to be part of a team that utilizes advanced technology and a team approach to provide personalized care to our patients.
- Graduation from a physician assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Two years of experience as a physician assistant in a clinical setting preferred; intensive care unit/emergency medicine/urgent care, minor surgical procedures experience preferred.
- National Commission of Certification on Physician Assistants (NCCPA) certification.
- Current license with the Maryland Board of Physicians.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS)/Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Achieves agreed-upon productivity standards.
- Adheres to department policies and procedures. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Advocates for patient by assessing medical and psychosocial needs, coordinates care with PMD and/or specialist, and initiates referrals when appropriate.
- Contributes to the achievement of established departmental goals.
- Counsels the patient as to preventative care, medical problems, exercise, and the use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Incorporates data form history, physical examination, laboratory, and diagnostic procedures to establish appropriate and corrective measures in collaboration with the attending physician.
- Orders, performs, and interprets appropriate laboratory and diagnostic studies in the routine, urgent, and emergent care of patients.
- Performs appropriate history and physical assessment on all assigned patients (including problem list, assessment, and plan) and reviews with attending physician/preceptor.
- Performs procedures as appropriate for patient care. Prepares and maintains records of patient charges. Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the charge nurse, team nurse, staff, residents, and faculty preceptors by assisting in the coordination of patient care and patient flow on the teams and mentoring.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as the surrounding rural areas, offer a unique blend of history, culture, and the arts—and, of course, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Downtown beckons you with its popular Inner Harbor, highly rated restaurants, theater, nightlife, and major league sports teams. The suburbs offer a great selection of homes in welcoming neighborhoods with excellent schools, shopping, and family activities. Rural areas are accented by quiet rolling hills, lush forests, and charming small towns. MedStar Health hospitals serving Baltimore include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital, and MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.