Critical Care Physician Assistant Opportunity - MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Our Medical and Surgical Intensive Care consists of 4 units with a 50-bed total capacity. In this role, critical care APPs work autonomously but collaboratively with intensive care physicians and a large multidisciplinary care team to provide top-notch emergent and urgent care to patients in critical condition, including, but not limited to, patients in general surgery and surgical subspecialties, including neurosurgery, trauma, thoracic, vascular, plastics, gynecology-oncology, and orthopedics, as well as medical patients.
Essential Job Duties Include:
- Providing emergent and urgent care to patients in critical condition.
- Performing history and physical examination of patients.
- Establishing appropriate medical diagnoses based on patient history, chart review, physical exam, lab testing, and radiographic imaging.
- Recommending, initiating, and managing appropriate therapeutic interventions for various pathologies, including respiratory failure, heart failure, shock, and acid-base disturbances.
- Presenting patients on daily rounds with the ICU attending and multidisciplinary team.
- Collaborating with all involved care teams, including other consultants.
- Performing bedside procedures, including insertion of central venous, non-tunneled dialysis, arterial catheters, chest tubes, and thoracentesis.
- Communicating between healthcare professionals to promote safe patient transition between shifts, services, and/or levels of care.
- Educating and supervising new graduate APPs and students where appropriate.
- Graduation from an accredited physician assistant or acute care nurse practitioner program.
- NCCPA (physician assistant) or AGACNP (nurse practitioner) certified.
- BLS and ACLS certifications.
- Required: 2 or more years as an advanced practice provider in intensive care, cardiac surgery, or cardiology. No new graduates, please.
Competitive salary, retirement contribution matching, generous paid time-off allotment, and CME/licensing/credentialing reimbursement.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
The Washington, D.C., metro area is a fascinating and incredibly diverse place to live and work. Here, you’ll find outstanding museums and national treasures, good schools, prestigious colleges and universities, professional sports teams, world-renowned restaurants, and exciting nightlife. The city offers a wide range of living options—from urban condos and apartments to suburban townhouses and single-family homes in close-knit communities and quiet rural locations. D.C.’s central east coast location makes it easy to get away to nearby cities or to take a short drive to beautiful beaches or picturesque mountains.