Intensive Care Unit Advanced Practice Provider at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
MedStar Medical Group is seeking an experienced, full-time Critical Care Advanced Practice Provider in the Medical and Surgical Intensive Care units at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
The Medical and Surgical ICUs consist of four units with a 50-bed total capacity. Critical Care APPs work autonomously but collaboratively with intensive care physicians and a large multidisciplinary care team to provide top-notch emergent and urgent care to patients in critical condition, including, but not limited to, patients in general surgery and surgical subspecialties, including neurosurgery, trauma, thoracic, vascular, plastics, gynecology-oncology, and orthopedics, as well as medical patients. This APP will work to ensure care delivered is consistent with evidence-based medical standards and quality initiatives.
Essential job duties include:
- Providing emergent and urgent care to patients in critical condition.
- Performing histories and physical examinations of patients.
- Establishing appropriate medical diagnoses based on patient history, chart review, physical exam, lab testing, and radiographic imaging.
- Recommending, initiating, and managing appropriate therapeutic interventions for various pathologies, including respiratory failure, heart failure, shock, and acid-base disturbances.
- Presenting patients on daily rounds with the ICU attending and multidisciplinary team.
- Collaborating with all involved care teams, including other consultants.
- Performing bedside procedures, including insertion of central venous, non-tunneled dialysis, and arterial catheters, as well as chest tubes and thoracentesis.
- Communicating between healthcare professionals to promote safe patient transition between shifts, services, and/or levels of care.
- Educating and supervising new graduate APPs and students where appropriate.
Departmental opportunities include participation in the following:
- Weekly didactics
- Monthly journal club
- Advanced Practice Provider practice committee
- Critical care morbidity and mortality
- Various process-improvement projects
- Protocol writing and revisions
- Graduation from an accredited physician assistant or acute care nurse practitioner program.
- NCCPA (physician assistant) or AGACNP (nurse practitioner) certification.
- BLS and ACLS certifications.
- Required: Two or more years as an advanced practice provider in intensive care, cardiac surgery, or cardiology. No new graduates, please.
- Highly competitive salary
- Retirement contribution matching
- Generous paid time-off allotment
- CME/licensing/credentialing reimbursement
- Attractive sign-on bonus for experienced candidates
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as the surrounding rural areas, offer a unique blend of history, culture, and the arts—and, of course, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Downtown beckons you with its popular Inner Harbor, highly rated restaurants, theater, nightlife, and major league sports teams. The suburbs offer a great selection of homes in welcoming neighborhoods with excellent schools, shopping, and family activities. Rural areas are accented by quiet rolling hills, lush forests, and charming small towns. MedStar Health hospitals serving Baltimore include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital, and MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.