MedStar Senior Services Physician (Internal Medicine / Geriatrics) - Washington, D.C.
MedStar Medical Group offers a rewarding career in a setting that's right for you. Join an organization that welcomes your experience and leadership as a clinician and healthcare expert.
We seek a physician educator to serve a population of high-need elders in Washington, D.C. Duties include clinical care (90%) in two settings:
- Home-Based Primary Care: The physician will manage a panel of complex elders with a superb team of nurse practitioners, social workers, RN, and office support staff.
- Hospital Geriatrics at MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MWHC). This includes the roles of attending physician for house call patients and consultation services for surgeons and other colleagues.
The physician has 10% of time for education. They are a member of the Department of Medicine at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and eligible for a faculty appointment at Georgetown School of Medicine. The physician helps to train Internal Medicine residents and Georgetown medical students. Academic time includes giving noon conferences, small group teaching sessions, and grand rounds; supervision of residents and students on Geriatrics rotations; and development of clinical and teaching skills.
The physician participates in rotating weekly on-call coverage that includes 24/7 phone access for house call patients and a modest amount of weekend hospital rounding. The on-call and hospital services provide continuity for our patients and offers a good work-life balance for our physicians.
The MedStar House Call Program (MHCP) is one of the leading house call programs in the region and the U.S. We employ a dedicated and skilled team to address the needs of underserved elders and their families. We bring the best of care to the home and across all settings, offering tailored treatment that considers the home environment and the capacity of family caregivers.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD or DO).
- Completion of residency in Internal Medicine.
- Geriatrics fellowship training preferred (or equivalent professional experience).
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine at start of employment.
- Board-Certified in Geriatrics within one year of employment start date.
- Eligible for appointment to Active Staff of MedStar Washington Hospital Center and licensure to practice medicine in District of Columbia and Maryland.
- Strong interpersonal, clinical, and teaching skills for teamwork and care of complex elders.
- The physician will also perform procedures as required for the specialty.
As a MedStar Medical Group clinician, you can expect:
- A competitive salary and signing bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- CME leave and CME allowance
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Be a part of a nationally recognized health system and the largest provider of health services in the Baltimore/Washington region. Enjoy a rich career and a quality of life unique to living in the nation's capital and mid-Atlantic region with great culture, climate, and living communities.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
The Washington, D.C., metro area is a fascinating and incredibly diverse place to live and work. Here, you’ll find outstanding museums and national treasures, good schools, prestigious colleges and universities, professional sports teams, world-renowned restaurants, and exciting nightlife. The city offers a wide range of living options—from urban condos and apartments to suburban townhouses and single-family homes in close-knit communities and quiet rural locations. D.C.’s central east coast location makes it easy to get away to nearby cities or to take a short drive to beautiful beaches or picturesque mountains.