Physician Assistant - Critical Care at MedStar Georgetown
Functions as a physician assistant in the critical care division on the medical/surgical and neurosciences services. The job entails aiding the physicians with patient work-ups, conducting histories and physicals for critical care consults, interpreting hemodynamic and mechanical ventilation data, and acting as a resource to the neurosciences physicians and ICU nurses for critical care management.
Primary responsibilities include performing initial critical care consultation, daily rounds with attending intensivist, placing arterial and central venous catheters after appropriate certification, and management of mechanical ventilation and patients' hemodynamic status. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
Applicants must have at least one year of hospital-based inpatient experience for this opportunity.
Education, Experience, & License Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required from an accredited physician's assistant program.
- Master's in physician assistant studies preferred.
- This position requires at least one year of experience working in the ICU, PA certification, D.C. license, BLS, and ACLS.
- Perform daily assessments on critical care patients, including physical exam, review of graphic flow sheet, medications, acute events, and laboratory and x-ray results. Timely and accurate documentation in daily progress note in patient's chart.
- Daily rounds with attending intensivist where assessment and plans are discussed and then implemented.
- Manage mechanical ventilation and ventilator weaning.
- Identify patients who meet clinical criteria for extubation. Extubations to be performed in the presence of attending intensivist.
- Initiate and titrate vasopressor medications when clinically indicated.
- Place arterial catheters and central venous catheters under sterile technique with supervision by attending intensivist. Document procedure note in patient's chart.
- Assist in the ordering and evaluation of appropriate diagnostic studies and procedures.
- Provide education to patients, their families, and ICU nursing staff regarding disease process, treatment plan, and symptom management.
- Participate in daily multidisciplinary ICU rounds.
- Exemplify patient experience service standards and SPIRIT values, and actively participate in patient safety standards and tasks.
- Assume other responsibilities and duties that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
The Washington, D.C., metro area is a fascinating and incredibly diverse place to live and work. Here, you’ll find outstanding museums and national treasures, good schools, prestigious colleges and universities, professional sports teams, world-renowned restaurants, and exciting nightlife. The city offers a wide range of living options—from urban condos and apartments to suburban townhouses and single-family homes in close-knit communities and quiet rural locations. D.C.’s central east coast location makes it easy to get away to nearby cities or to take a short drive to beautiful beaches or picturesque mountains.