Physician Assistant - General Surgery
Our surgical specialists share a common goal: creating a patient experience dedicated to superior quality, safety, satisfaction, and the best possible outcomes. The ideal candidate will have current or previous first assist experience in general, plastic, GYN, and vascular surgery, as well as interest in pre-admission clinic evaluation of patients and postoperative inpatient care. Join a team of PAs providing comprehensive surgical care and exceptional patient care to our patients.
As a new physician assistant at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, you can expect:
- A competitive salary
- edical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- CME leave and CME allowance
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
Performs a variety of duties such as history and physicals, as well as providing care to assigned patients. Assesses, diagnoses, documents findings, and writes medical orders. Makes clinical decisions relative to patient management through collaboration with physicians.
- Education/Training – Graduation from a physician assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Experience – No experience required. Surgical experience highly preferred.
- License/Certification/Registration – National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) certification. Current license with the Maryland Board of Physicians. Current Basic Life Support (BLS)/Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certifications.
- Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities – Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Develops treatment plan and discusses proposed course of treatment with the patient's attending physician and other healthcare team members as appropriate, including consultations and referrals.
- Functions under surgeon's direction as first and second assistant in surgical cases. Assists in necessary preparations prior to and after surgery. Maintains on-call responsibility as required.
- Initiates, performs, and interprets appropriate diagnostic tests necessary in routine and emergent care of patients.
- Monitors patients and communicates significant patient findings or changes in patients' status to the appropriate physician.
- Obtains detailed and accurate history, performs physical examinations, and reviews medical records to assess patients' health status.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Performs emergency lifesaving procedures as appropriate.
- Performs necessary rounds independently or with the attending physician and/or students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as the surrounding rural areas, offer a unique blend of history, culture, and the arts—and, of course, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Downtown beckons you with its popular Inner Harbor, highly rated restaurants, theater, nightlife, and major league sports teams. The suburbs offer a great selection of homes in welcoming neighborhoods with excellent schools, shopping, and family activities. Rural areas are accented by quiet rolling hills, lush forests, and charming small towns. MedStar Health hospitals serving Baltimore include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital, and MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.