Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wound Care
Full Time, Monday through Friday
MedStar is currently seeking a full-time physician assistant to join the MedStar Health Wound Healing Institute. The staff at the Wound Healing Institute is a unique team of experienced doctors, nurses, and therapists whose combined knowledge creates a multidisciplinary approach to wound management. We are looking for an advanced practice provider to bring their expertise to complement our existing well-established and growing team. This position offers you the opportunity to practice with a team of dedicated and highly trained staff of two plastic surgeons, two podiatrists, and a nurse practitioner. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to work in the outpatient Wound Healing Center, as well as round inpatients with active wounds on the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Unit. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience as a physician assistant. New grad applicants with ER/wound care experience in an RN role are also encouraged to apply.
Assumes total nursing care of specific patients under the direction of physician. Follows established nursing standards, procedures, and practices and gives specific patient care directions to nursing and other staff.
- Education/Training – Graduate from a physician assistant program approved by the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- Experience – Two years of experience as a provider in an outpatient clinical setting preferred. New grad applicants with ER/wound care experience in an RN role are also encouraged to apply.
- License/Certification/Registration – Registration with the Maryland State Board Examiners of Nurses.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities – Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Physician Assistant – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wound Care:
- Triages patient telephone inquiries, provides consultation as needed, and ensures appropriate treatment or referral.
- Provides patient care in the clinical setting to include assessment, analysis, and treatment of acute and chronic problems. Performs physical examinations pertinent to the patient's medical history and complaint and/or study participation.
- Orders and evaluates appropriate diagnostic studies and procedures.
- Works with surgical scheduling specialist coordinating and scheduling surgical cases. Communicates with insurance and patients to obtain required precertification to ensure payment for services provided. Inform patients of preoperative requirements and provides necessary orders and instructions to patient, departments, and primary care providers following insurance requirements.
- Interprets and synthesizes data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan and procedures.
- Records and documents assessment data, interventions, results, and patient outcomes per established clinical protocols.
- Assists in maintaining reports and correspondence in patients' charts. Facilitates attorney requests according to established guidelines.
- Instructs patients and family regarding medications and treatment/surgical instructions. Provides patient education and serves as resource to other clinical team members regarding particular expertise.
- Manages clinical research studies to include patient recruitment, screening for suitability in research studies, scheduling and maintenance of records of visits, phone calls, and assessment and performance of testing per study protocols.
- Assists in preparations and monitoring of research budgets.
- Assists patients in accessing services within the Medical Center and community.
- Collaborates with physician in evaluating and managing the acute and long-term medical/surgical needs of patients.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Duties Specific to Plastic Surgery and Wound Care:
- Works with Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Performs minor procedures to include surgical debridements and mass/lesion removals.
- Specializes in advanced wound care working with the MedStar Health Wound Healing Institute.
- Surgical assisting in specialized surgical procedures: breast surgery, targeted muscle reinnervation (TMR).
- Provides postoperative care.
- Conducts independent clinic in outpatient office setting, as well as the ambulatory wound center.
- Will work with Hyperbarics to medically supervise HBO2 treatments (will send for certification).
- Will create a specialized hidradenitis clinic in concert with other medical specialists.
As a MedStar Clinician, You Can Expect:
- A competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid malpractice insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Retirement plan – 403-B with % employer match
- Flexible Monday through Friday schedule with no weekends, holidays, or on-call responsibilities!
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Why join MedStar Medical Group?
We are a progressive, forward-thinking organization that enables you to define your own future—by region, specialty, or professional interest. We are also among the nation’s 15 largest medical groups, with the resources of highly respected MedStar Health behind us. We are collaborative, too. Your input and opinions concerning quality of patient care, your practice and this organization truly matter. You’ll also find balance here. We work hard, but we also value our personal lives and pursuits beyond the workplace. If you want an exciting career that is always challenging, always rewarding, apply now.
Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as the surrounding rural areas, offer a unique blend of history, culture, and the arts—and, of course, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. Downtown beckons you with its popular Inner Harbor, highly rated restaurants, theater, nightlife, and major league sports teams. The suburbs offer a great selection of homes in welcoming neighborhoods with excellent schools, shopping, and family activities. Rural areas are accented by quiet rolling hills, lush forests, and charming small towns. MedStar Health hospitals serving Baltimore include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, MedStar Harbor Hospital, and MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.